I’ve made some small changes to this typical Spanish Dish that I love so dearly. I have swapped the white potatoes for yams, and the 5-7 eggs for 3 eggs and 1 cup of egg whites. I also use a lot less oil (my mother-in-law uses a 1/2 litre!) and a non-stick skillet. This is perfect warm or cold, as a party appetizer cut into squares, or as a pre/post workout meal. The whole family loves it and it is often found sitting on the counter top at my house. Que Disfruten!
4-5 medium Sweet Potatos
2 medium onions ( I used red sweet here, but white look nicer when cooked)
3 eggs and 1 cup egg whites
Olive Oil (for cooking)
Salt and Pepper
- Sautee peeled and sliced sweet potatoes and onion together with some olive oil in a non-stick skillet. Add some salt and pepper and continue on med/low heat, stirring every so often for approx. 20-30 minutes until mixture looks likes picture in step 2.
- In a separate bowl whisk together egg whites and eggs (picture here is done with 7 full eggs which is fine- just higher fat content). Add some salt and pepper to taste.
- when sweet potato mixture is ready, add immediately to egg mixture and stir quickly- you want to slowly “cook” or temper the eggs without scrambling them. Keep stirring for a minute and return to pan ( I like to use a smaller, higher lip pan for this part to make a more condense “cake” looking omelette).
- Cook on medium to low heat until the sides start to cook. There are two options here, you can either flip the omelette on a plate and cook the other side and finish cooking on the stove top, or insert oven safe skillet in the oven under the broiler until done. I have done both ways depending on the size of the Tortilla.
- Turn on plate and enjoy!!! I like mine a little more “wet” in the middle. If you like it more dry, make sure you cook a little longer, or use a bigger pan to make it thinner.
- Let cool slightly and serve! Pictured in front of appetizer table- cut up squares of the tortilla!! Perfect for entertaining and I always make the day before!